Creation: Yves Saint Laurent V2180 Tunic, Sash, & Pants
The Visionary: Rebecca, SewPomona
Our Thoughts: Rebecca used our white batiste to create this lovely tunic, sash & pants. How elegant!
Since I first saw the Yves Saint Laurent + Halston Exhibit back in February I’ve been dreaming of sewing up a YSL Creation of my own. I fell for this elegant tunic, sash and slim pant as soon as I saw the line art on the cover of Yves Saint Laurent’s V2180. I bought this out of print Vogue Paris Original on Etsy from Chloe’s Closet which has a huge selection of Vintage Patterns. My vision was to make this out of a light and airy fabric perfect for the heat of our Florida summers.
The fabric is a luscious organic cotton batiste. For this season’s make for Organic Cotton Plus, I wanted to try out a fabric I hadn’t used before. This Batiste is lightweight and almost sheer which makes it perfect for our climate here in Florida. I used two layers for the pants (sewn as one) to make them more opaque and left the sheerness for the jacket which has its own interior facing. I also dyed the pants a soft mauve grey to mimic the inspiration drawing on the pattern. This fabric was so lovely to work with and pressed beautifully. Airy but still easy to sew up. Perfect combo!
YSL Vogue Paris Original V2180
- I achieved a soft mauve grey on the pants using Pomegranate, Cutch and Iron (no mordant) leftover from Aquarelle Liquid Dye Kit, Botanical Colors.
I love sewing from Vogue Patterns- I learn a new technique every time I make one of the designer patterns. This pattern has a beautifully designed interior facing made in two parts as well as lovely mitered vents on the sides. The back also has a center seam with a pleat added on the interior facing for ease of movement. I cut this in a straight 16 (38-30-40). I was taking no chances on the sizing. I find the vintage patterns tend to be more true to actual measurements then some of the newer patterns.
The jacket fit was great as is. For the pant I compared the pattern first to my sloper and only needed to shave off a tiny sliver from the crotch. The fit on these pants are amazing! Especially considering I didn’t make a muslin first. I wasn’t sure at first about this slim fit and high waist but I think they look fantastic! The pockets are perfect and the silhouette is so slimming and elegant. I love the darts for added shaping.
The only issue I had was the length of the zipper on the pattern. It extends very far down and is really not necessary. I’ll alter it next time to a much shorter length and redo the placket by hand on this pair. I went for a more couture finish on these pants with a snap and two hand sewn chain bars and hooks for the waist closure.
The finishing on the jacket features invisible hand sewn hems on the pants and sleeves as well as sewn in shoulder pads. I thought I’d leave them off at first but the really are needed to square out the shoulder and maintain the silhouette on this pattern. Once I put them in it fit perfectly.
I love that this outfit will be so versatile. I’m thinking the jacket will look great with jeans in the fall and the pants will go with so much I’ve already sewn in my wardrobe. I’m so happy with how the dyeing turned out. I looked through some of my dye books for ideas on getting the color I wanted when I ran across this post from Folk Fibers and loved the results from using no mordant. I used what was leftover from my Aquarelle Dye Kit, a batch of pomegranate liquid dye, some cutch and iron. Probably my simplest dye process yet.